Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Judgement Day...

You may have noticed some changes to the blog.  I can no longer accept donations through Google Checkout.  If you made a donation, it cannot be processed, I'm so sorry.  I am searching for an alternate way to donate online.  So stay tuned.

We have had yet another tragedy in our community.  I won't go into details but it is likely that charges will be pressed.  It is a very, very sad and unfortunate story involving people I know personally.

What is absolutely compelling to me is the constant "holier than thou", "it could never happen to me", "I would NEVER do that" mentality in our culture.  People are awfully brave behind their faceless keyboards.  Condemning, judging, when in reality, we are all just HUMAN.  Bad things happen.  Tragic accidents occur.  We all have overscheduled, busy, "keeping up with the Joneses" lifestyles.  I have had it with the "I'm not judging but THAT could NEVER happen to me!  BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!"  But wouldn't they be the first to want people to give them the benefit of the doubt should they make a huge, life-altering mistake?  Yes, of course.  What have we become?  A judgmental society of "not mes!"

So stop and think how many judgements on others you make in a day.  I know I make many.  Someone who shouldn't be wearing something, a "stupid" criminal, the misbehavior of a stranger's child in a store.  Every day we all make judgments on people.  I, for one, am very guilty.  "Oh, she has no idea how bad she looks in that", "I can't believe that they wore THAT to church!"  Who are we to judge?  Do we want our children to judge?  To BE judgmental?  I hope not, but I fear that it creeps in without us even realizing it!

 Heaven forbid I ever be in the situation that my friend is in.  It must be excruciating.  But if people can stand in judgment of her, a pillar of the community, a wonderful person, and mother, if can happen to any of us.

I am going to make an effort, right now, to be MORE compassionate, give more people the benefit of the doubt, without compromising my morals, or giving in to the temptation to go along with the crowd. 

People need one another, that is how God made us.  We are interdependent.  It makes me so sad when society becomes ugly and loses the compassion we have been given.

Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment