I have been thinking a lot lately about blessings and angels. In the midst of our chaotic lives, it is difficult to stop and notice the things, no, the people that are blessings in our lives. One of Grace's biggest difficulties is dealing with peers, especially new kids. I guess being an only child she is very comfortable around adults, well, let's face it, she thinks of herself as one.
Anyhow, I am so very lucky to have a group of adults who "get" her. These people are my Angels. They love her, for exactly who she is, fear, anxiety, behavior issues and all. They see the things I can't always see as I am mired in being "The Mom". And these are not family members, I might add, although they are great with her too. These are people who truly and sincerely LOVE my daughter. They take her places, want to spend time with her, send her postcards, bring her little gifts, call her, ask her over for sleepovers or playdates with their kids, all because they love her, a child they are not even related to. That is beyond priceless to me. Angels all.
The Angels that helped with our recent adoption fundraiser. A car wash is hell-like temperatures. (What was I thinking??) The friend that brought her 4 kids to help wash cars for 2 hours; the neighbors who stayed until the bitter end in the 102 degree heat to help my husband; dear friends who drove from Maryland or Fredricksburg; and all the friends who just CAME. So wonderful. I felt very loved that day. Many of these people have known our heartache in the struggle to adopt. And they are HAPPY for us. Such a wonderful feeling. I am so grateful.
So, as I look beyond my little world to my slightly larger world and see countless people lining up to help our local vet going through a truly horrific time. People expressing their support, making meals, sending notes of encouragement, showing up at the local courthouse during her hearing just to show her they care. Those people are Angels. People willing to go out of their way for another human being, regardless of the jeers and ridicule of others - and there is plenty of that. Going the extra mile, providing that one smile or word of encouragement.
Angels are real. They are each one of us. It is too easy to get caught up getting angry at the guy who took your parking space or a rude sales clerk. But each of these people have issues of their own, struggles, heartaches, troubles. Maybe they need an Angel, an extra smile, a kind word. I know I sound like a sap. But I am SO tired of the negative, horrible things I see going on in the world. I have Angels. Can we all be Angels? Can you?
No comments:
Post a Comment