About a month ago, we pulled my daughter out of private school. First grade was a disaster. This very small, privately run, Catholic school reduced my daughter to an anxious, angry mess...all in first grade. She and the teacher were oil and water. And she was getting bullied, which is surprising knowing my tough-minded little girl. The end result was a school that had neither the desire nor the ability to handle a child who was outside the box.
The final straw was hearing the teacher scream, and I mean SCREAM at a child in the hallway and knowing in my heart that it was Grace. To see someone mistreat your child brings up such anger and emotion. By the middle of the next week we had a plan, and pulled her out. The next week I watched her "come down" from the experience. It was almost like Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. I am so angry to think that someone damaged my little girl like that. I am also angry at myself for not seeing it sooner.
So, we decided to homeschool. Yikes! I never, EVER, thought I would do it. I always said NO WAY. I waited so long to have some sense of freedom and to be able to get myself back on track. This is proof that God has a sense of humor. The thought of putting her back into a classroom setting was unacceptable. A new class with a new teacher, new kids, new rules etc would be too hard for her. Public school wasn't an option for two reasons. We feel strongly that her education be rooted in our Catholic faith. And we didn't feel that a crowded classroom where she would be considered "special needs" would benefit her.
So, we are about a month into homeschooling. She loves it, me, not so much. I am having trouble managing my time, not being distracted and balancing all the other things. Most of my other responsibilities have fallen by the wayside, even those I enjoy. I need to find a way to balance my life.
Stay tuned, this will get interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment